Empty streets on bandh day assist police nab triple homicide convict

THANE: A 39-year-old convicted to life term in a triple murder case, who had escaped from the high-security in Bihar in December 2016, was traced to Cidco area of Thane during the on Wednesday.
The accused has been identified as Parjit Kumar Rambadhai Singh of Indragachi village under Sangrampur police station in East Champaran district of Bihar.

Police said on April 10, 1998, Singh attacked six members of a family. “Three of them, including a man and his two sisters, died, while three others survived the attack, but remained in a coma for a prolonged period,” said a police officer, requesting anonymity.

According to the police, on April 7, 1998, the male victim had got into a scuffle with Singh during a cricket match following which he hit him on the head with a cricket stump. Singh unleashed revenge on the entire family.

Joint commissioner Madhukar Pandey said he was awarded death sentence and after the Supreme Court turned down his appeal, he moved a mercy petition to the President who commuted it to life imprisonment till death.

After spending more than 18 years in Buxar jail, the accused, along with four others, broke free on December 30, 2016, said Nitin Thakre, senior inspector of crime branch unit-1.

During interrogation, it was found that while he was in jail, his two brothers had died. While one drowned, the other died in a railway accident. “He suspected the survivors of his attack had a hand, hence, he planned the jailbreak to avenge his brothers‘ deaths,” said a police officer.

Police said after his escape from jail, he was constantly on the move. He first went to Nepal, then Delhi, Kolkata, Gujarat, Nashik and Mumbai where he took up housekeeping jobs. Hence, Bihar police sought the help of to nab him.

On Wednesday, when city streets wore a deserted look, Singh was spotted near and immediately captured by the police.

Get latest news & live updates on the go on your pc with . Download The for your device.

Leave a Comment