BENGALURU: A 19-year-old woman from West Bengal, who was suffering from an and sought treatment at , has been allegedly reduced to a and has been in the for over 40 days.

The woman has been diagnosed with severe hypoxic brain damage, a condition that occurs when there is disruption in blood supply to the brain. Her brother has now filed a compliant of medical negligence against two doctors of the hospital with Koramangala police.

Akthar Ali Khan said he admitted his sister Jamina Khatun to St John’s Hospital on May 22 for treatment of an .

“Doctors said they’d need to operate on her and told me to deposit cash in advance. Accordingly, I deposited the money and doctors took my sister to the operation theatre (OT) on the morning of May 30. She was administered anaesthesia, soon after which her heart stopped functioning. Doctors said they cannot operate on her under such conditions. My sister slipped into coma and the hospital management has raised a bill for Rs 6,46,726,” Khan told Koramangala police.

Police said they have registered a non-cognizable report (NCR). “We have not registered an FIR so far. We will take legal advice before proceeding with the case,” they added.

The patient, meanwhile, has been in the ICU of St John’s Hospital since May 30. She is now on ventilator and her vitals are stable, but she is dependent on a tracheostomy, a surgical procedure done to create an opening in the neck for direct access to the breathing tube. “Jamina is not in coma now. She will require many months of rehabilitation to recover, but is unlikely to be absolutely normal,” doctors at the hospital said.

“The patient had recurrent ear infections and a serious bone infection requiring surgical treatment to repair the eardrum and cleaning the mastoid bone behind the ear, the source of the recurrent infection. On May 30, she was taken to the OT only after pre-anaesthesia check-up and informed consent for ENT surgery. She was assessed as low risk for complication,” the hospital said.

In the OT, Jamina had an unfortunate, sudden, unexpected and serious cardiac arrest 35 minutes after induction of anaesthesia and after intubation, before actual commencement of surgery. She was resuscitated and has been in the ICU, the hospital added. “We continue to counsel and provide care and treatment for our patient and support her family,” the hospital added.
Get latest news & live updates on the go on your pc with . Download The for your device. in English and other languages.

Receive News & Ratings Via Email - Enter your email address below to receive a concise daily summary of the latest news and analysts' ratings with's FREE daily email newsletter.